Every year, I do a series of meditations on my life goals and world hopes. I make a vision board (I don't care how hokey you think it sounds, I like it) of what I want to focus on. I revisit last year's resolutions list, see how I've done, figure out what I did or didn't do and why, reassess, and make a new list of goals for the coming year.
As 2017 came to a close, I did none of that.
We're three weeks into 2018, and I just did the list look-over, and have started a new Pinterest board for 2018 goals, but that's all.
Basically, this was 2017:
My tolerance for bullshit is .002%.
My interest in the news is -400%, but I maintain...I do enough to know what's up in Congress, call and email my reps and senators, and hang on to a thread of my hope and sanity.
It hasn't done much for my creativity.
I just looked at the list of resolutions for 2016. There were just five, as opposed to my usual 17.
- ✅ Sleep better - Well, it turns out I have an allergy to wheat (or whatever chemicals they are calling wheat these days) so a gluten-free diet has solved those pesky sleeping and breathing problems. And my random rashes, yay...
- ✔𝗑𝗑 Writing goals - the only one I did was work on the Allan ms - not done, though.
- ✔ Massage networking - a little... but business has been busy, so yay, there.
- 🆇 IRA - nope, but still in the plans...
- ✅ Support Journalistic Integrity - I did this one! I paid for subscriptions to quality news outlets like The Guardian and Washington Post. I donated to several causes involving public interest, education, and the arts.
So far, this is my plan for 2018:
- Organize home. I already have an organizer hired. Today will be our second session.
- Make a writing area at home. Ok, it won't look like this because I live in a small apartment, but the atmosphere is close...
- Finish 1989 memoirs.
- Finish draft of Baltimore Boys.
- Do some performing - Storytellers, Moth, Salon, etc.
- Make two submissions.
- Read 30 books. Include classics by non-white authors, new releases, and both fic & nonfic.
- Seek teaching opportunities. Work on panel submissions and written material.
- Get involved. Find ways... politics?, writing, cons, community arts, etc.
- Travel. Victoria, Florida, Italy.
That's my list so far.