Resolution is a pretty harsh word, especially when you look at all the baggage it brings along with it, in our culture. It sounds hard: "Resolve". Stern, unyielding, and probably not fun. The word practically has "FAIL" built into it. I prefer to call my list of goals for the year "Goals" (duh) or "Intentions". Intention is a word that is full of possibility, focus, awareness, and concentration, but with a softer, more open connotation. Never mind that phrase my mother is so fond of, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." That is a different definition of the word.
I have yet to sit down and plan out my intentions for 2014, but I have been considering it for weeks. I looked over the list for 2013, and honestly, I did pretty well. Firmly hit 6 out of 17 Goals, made at least a bit of headway on another 6, and will carry over the other 5 untouched. (Darn that pesky home organization!)
Here, I am mostly looking at my writing goals. Last year, I planned on making 12 short submissions (done), 3 contest entries (did one, only) finishing the third draft of HISMZA (done) and taking it to the PNWA Conference (done). I also planned on reading 30 books (done).
This year, I'm planning on the following:
- Finish Fourth (and hopefully final?) Draft of HISMZA novel.
- Finish First Draft of "The Sound of Sorrow's Sleep" novel.
- Compete in NYCMidnight's Short Story Competition (already entered!).
- Compete in at least one other contest (probably Lorian Hemingway's, again. Also Seattle Crypticon, and PNWA contests).
- Read 30 books, at least six of which have come out in 2014 (I've realized that I am way behind on my reading list and rarely read anything current!).
Just for kicks, here are some of my non-writing goals for 2014:
- Organize cluttered home and Spare Room. (A carry-over for years, sadly...)
- Take at least two dance/exercise classes per week (Already signed up for Bar Method on Fridays and Punk Rock Aerobics on Tuesdays, and have been to each).
- Use my FitBit to track sleep and steps. Improve regular sleeping patterns... Sleep 1am/2am - 9am/10am! Hit 10K steps at least 3 times a week. Lose .5 - 2 lbs. per week/25 lbs. per year.
- Work on Alternative Business Women's Association idea.
- Help Veronica buy the property and increase profits for Standing Stone Healing & Arts.
- Maintain friendships: Contact at least one friend per month that I haven't been in touch with regularly.
- Travel to Tampa, Florida, to visit Mom & Dad's new home.
- Travel to Tokyo, if possible. Or Paris, France. It's been way too long for each of them.
- Continue brushing up on language skills: Use apps for Japanese, Italian, and French. Find a class or group to join to increase skills.
- Get new laptop! Probably MS Surface.
- Continue my work on my financial life and plan.
- Increase my massage therapy work in PIP claims (car accident clients).
As usual, that's a long list, but I'm sure to continue tweaking it. Do any of you want to share your New Year Intentions?