Monday, January 22, 2018

2018: New Year's Resolutions

January is nearly done.

Every year, I do a series of meditations on my life goals and world hopes. I make a vision board (I don't care how hokey you think it sounds, I like it) of what I want to focus on. I revisit last year's resolutions list, see how I've done, figure out what I did or didn't do and why, reassess, and make a new list of goals for the coming year.

As 2017 came to a close, I did none of that.

We're three weeks into 2018, and I just did the list look-over, and have started a new Pinterest board for 2018 goals, but that's all.

Basically, this was 2017:

My tolerance for bullshit is .002%. 
My interest in the news is -400%, but I maintain...I do enough to know what's up in Congress, call and email my reps and senators, and hang on to a thread of my hope and sanity. 

It hasn't done much for my creativity.

I just looked at the list of resolutions for 2016. There were just five, as opposed to my usual 17.
  1. ✅ Sleep better - Well, it turns out I have an allergy to wheat (or whatever chemicals they are calling wheat these days) so a gluten-free diet has solved those pesky sleeping and breathing problems. And my random rashes, yay...
  2. ✔𝗑𝗑 Writing goals - the only one I did was work on the Allan ms - not done, though.
  3. ✔   Massage networking - a little... but business has been busy, so yay, there.
  4.  🆇  IRA - nope, but still in the plans...
  5. ✅ Support Journalistic Integrity - I did this one! I paid for subscriptions to quality news outlets like The Guardian and Washington Post. I donated to several causes involving public interest, education, and the arts.
So far, this is my plan for 2018:
  1. Organize home. I already have an organizer hired. Today will be our second session.
  2. Make a writing area at home. 
    Ok, it won't look like this because I live in a small apartment, but the atmosphere is close...
  3. Finish 1989 memoirs.
  4. Finish draft of Baltimore Boys.
  5. Do some performing - Storytellers, Moth, Salon, etc.
  6. Make two submissions.
  7. Read 30 books. Include classics by non-white authors, new releases, and both fic & nonfic.

    Last year I aimed for 52, but felt rushed. I need time to absorb. I also need time to read manuscripts for my writers group, and to write, myself!
  8. Seek teaching opportunities. Work on panel submissions and written material. 
  9. Get involved. Find ways... politics?, writing, cons, community arts, etc.
  10. Travel. Victoria, Florida, Italy. 
That's my list so far. 


No comments:

Post a Comment